Etosha National Park
Etosha National Park, located in the northern part of Namibia, is one of Southern Africa’s premier wildlife reserves. Covering an area of 22,270km², the park is home to an impressive 114 species of mammals and over 340 species of birds including the big 4 (lion, leopard, rhino & elephants) as well as a plains game like zebra, antelopes, small predators. In addition to these, you can also find species that are endemic to northern Namibia such as the Black-Faced Impala and the smallest antelope the Damara Dik Dik.
Given the parks geographical location being situated between two great deserts, the Namib & the Kalahari, the wildlife of Etosha relies heavily on man-made water holes. During the dry season, these waterholes, like many human waterholes, attract a variety of species which is any photographers dream. The views of elephants, giraffes, lions, hyenas, springbok, zebra and more all drinking together in order to survive the dry winter is something that you don’t see in many other parts of Africa.
The park itself is named after the impressive Etosha Pan, a saline desert stretching 4,760km². Once a shallow lake, this was a wetland habitat for many bird species. These days however, Etosha Pan is a vast expanse of nothing that fills with water approximately every 7 years. This occasion brings with it an incredible sight as close to a million great white pelicans, flamingos and chestnut-banded plovers migrate to Etosha for breeding.
Vegetation in the park varies from tree and shrub savannah to woodland areas which are dominated by Mopane trees, thus ensuring that there is a variety of wildlife and ideal for any avid game enthusiast.
Etosha is the prime location for safaris in Namibia, and always manages to exceed expectations.
Safaris visiting Etosha Park
- 9 Day Canyons, Dunes & Wildlife
- 12 Day Etosha, Swakopmund & N/a’an ku sê Volunteer & Camping Safari Combo
- 12 Day Classic Namibia Camping Safari
- 20 Day Classic Namibia & N/a’an ku sê Volunteer & Camping Safari Combo
- 7 Day Northern Namibia & Skeleton Coast
- 6 Day Dunes & Wildlife Safari
- 3 Day Etosha Express
- 9 Day Etosha, Skeleton Coast and Sossusvlei
- 6 Day Etosha, Himba & Skeleton Coast
- 4 Day Etosha & Swakopmund Adventure
- 14 Day Dunes, Wildlife & N/a’an ku sê Volunteer & Lodge Safari Combo
- 8 Day Okonjima, Etosha, Himba & Skeleton Coast
- 15 Day Wildlife & Himba & N/a’an ku sê Volunteer & Camping Safari Combo
- 7 Day Namibian Highlights
- 7 Day Taste of Namibia